9.12.2011

Random Good Things

I realized all of my posts are turning into things baby-related, so here is one of just random stuff going on with us right now!  As you'll see, this post truly is just random of stuff we've enjoyed lately...

Good Restaurant (in St. Louis)
Labor Day weekend we had a free night and decided we had to get out and do something to take advantage of our free time pre-baby.  We got in the car and just drove towards SLU and Central West End to see what kind of restaurant we could find-- we didn't really see anything new catch our eye, so decided to go to Dressel's since we had never been there.  It was a good find cause the atmosphere and food was great!  They use local food in a lot of their dishes-- Dustin got some lamb special that he said was awesome.  The beer they had was amazing- lots of Belgian choices...so we'll definitely be coming back here once I can drink again!

Good Movie
We had decided to see a movie that night since we rarely do this due to the obnoxious cost they charge these days.  We had settled on The Help since it was at the Moolah Theater, which is my favorite place to go since they have comfy leather couches to sit on.  However, we get there and the line was so long that we had zero chance of getting a couch....so we decided to leave cause we didn't want to see the movie all that badly and sit in their uncomfy old seats.  So we headed out to the county to go to a large multiplex type place and just pick something that was showing.  One of the only choices was The Debt and it was great!  I NEVER write movie reviews and grade them, but felt like this one was so good and the users on yahoo were ripping it apart, that I had to log on and stick up for it.  Definitely a good movie to see or rent-- I thought it told a great story and had a good amount of suspense and surprises in it.

Good Concert
Our local radio station (105.7 The Point) sponsors a huge concert at least once a year called Pointfest.  I used to love this station back in the high school and college years, but now I never listen to it anymore.  I think it is described as Alternative, but for some reason I just don't care for the bands anymore and is too heavy sounding....ya, I'm sounding old I know.  Anyways, this years headliners of the show were right up my alley, so we got tickets.  Cake was one of the main bands and I have LOVED them for at least 15 years now.  They were great to see live, but only got to play 30-40 minutes so barely got in any older songs...and considering basically the entire Fashion Nugget album is awesome, we were bummed we got to here maybe 2-3 songs from it. We did hear Stickshifts and Safety Belts which is one of our faves, so that was fun.

Here's us with our friend Crystal at the show....being old and lame sitting...guess gray was the color to wear that day!  We were commenting how a few years ago we thought- who would go to a concert and sit, what is wrong with those people?!?!  Now that's us!  Although we did stand for all the songs of the bands we liked, so we aren't 100% lame....yet.

Next up was Chevelle, which I'm embarrassed to say, I did not know anything by them since I don't listen to this style of music anymore!  However, I enjoyed listening to them...the lead singer was good to look at....so I may go download some of their music.  Next up was The Urge, which most people do not know who they are, but in St. Louis they have a HUGE following.  10 Years ago they played Pointfest as their last show before breaking up....and then they reunited for this show and announced they are now back together and will be coming out with more music.  It had to be incredible for them-- this was at a large outdoor ampitheater and the whole place was cheering and singing and supporting them...I just think if I was in a band, that moment has to feel awesome.  It seemed like 90% of the people there were purely there to see The Urge and after they were done, the place cleared out.  Lastly, Bush closed out the show.  Man, I thought Gavin Rossdale used to be good-looking back when I was young, but he did not seem to have aged well at all!  He sounded awesome though and was VERY appreciative of the fans (who stuck around).  (Gavin is on the bottom right of the pic with the guitar)

One annoying thing about the show was that we were in actual seats vs. the lawn and it was no smoking in the seats.  Well within 5 minutes of sitting down, people are lighting up all over the place and it is just driving me nuts how disrespectful they are.  I was debating to go complain, but figured it was useless...until my hero in a yellow security shirt arrived and patrolled it!  He couldn't catch everyone, but he did a decent job at finding the people and making them stop....but as the night went on, he disappeared somewhere and then there was no hope.  It seriously was just a different breed of people at this show-- I always say going to most concerts at this venue and Six Flags just bring out these people who I wonder how they even function in society.  Half of them just look like your typical white trash people-- something we would put together only for a halloween costume!  The guy behind us apparently just came shirtless to the show, despite the fact that it got down to nice temps in the 70s all evening....and he had a fat gut, so it was so gross when I was sitting and he's standing up behind us and I can see this emerging pale gut next to my face.  They really need to require shirts, regardless of how hot it is.  Ugh.

Good Video Game
I've been spending the last month probably playing Lego Harry Potter on the Wii....yes, this sounds lame and I HATE harry potter and know nothing about that series, but the lego video games seriously rock!  They are the exact style of play that I enjoy-- lots of levels where you have to collect money and find hidden objects.  Dustin usually plays with me, but had to stop for a while cause thought it was giving him headaches-- I told him that is going to be an issue just as we have a baby boy that he can no longer play video games cause gets headaches!  He claims now that it is better or tolerable...so we'll see!

Other than that we primarily spend our time doing something baby-related or house-hunting!