9.11.2009

Marriage License- check!

Picked up the marriage license at lunch today. Of course nothing is easy-- checked the internet and found dustin needed his passport since not a citizen and you can only pay in cash. So I walked home at lunch to get his passport....can't find it in its usual spot, finally remembered it was probably still in our bag from the canada trip! Found it! So I leave and am walking back to work to meet dustin-- realize I forgot the cash...so have to walk back. Get back home and the elevators are being cleaned so can only take the steps. By now it was almost noon (when I was supposed to meet him), so am looking for my cell to tell him to meet me at city hall instead. Realize I left my phone in the car from last night...so with no elevator have to run to basement to get the phone. Then get all the way to city hall with passports, drivers license, birth certificates, like our whole lives....and she wants our SS cards!!!! Those cards seem to be so useless and it seems if I have a passport and such, then surely I have a valid SSN! Luckily she was nice and just told us to write our SSNs on a piece of paper and she'd take that. Interesting. I found the info they ask and put on the certificate very interesting. Like why did they need to know how many years of education I have? Are they not going to let us get married if I don't have enough smarts? I don't know-- had to put our right arms up and swear we told the truth and then walked away $48 poorer with a certificate in hand! Now just can't lose it and have to bring it back signed!