10.15.2008

Oahu Day 5 (Wed)


Who is that hottie? Today we went to Hanauma Bay and went…..drumroll please….SNORKELING!!! We were waiting at the bus stop for a pretty long time after the supposed pickup time. We see this van taxi on the other side of the street with this driver yelling out the window he will drive to the bay for $5. We didn’t have enough time to flag him down, but the more we kept standing out there we were hoping he would come back. Well about 5-10 minutes later he comes back around, so we take him up on the offer. Little did we know that this guy is just plain crazy, but was hilarious and a wealth of information. He pointed out a rich subdivision where Jamie Lee Curtis and Keanu Reeves both live. It is gated community, but if someone in your car has a Hawaii drivers licence, then you can tell the guard that you are there to go hiking. He will assign you a parking spot and you are to drive directly to the spot and not stop or do anything. We also learned the avg. house on oahu costs $620k. You can no longer build a house on a mountain—he tells us it is now a preserve, but used to be a jelly. I said I did not know what a jelly was. He said it used to be a jelly, before that it was a jam. Get it now—preserve, jelly, jam…haha. He also showed us some Japanese money and taught us Japanese expressions. To say excuse me is something like Su Mee Yien. On the way home, we also took him and he did Hawaii trivia. Wendy answered out of order one time and he said- “I am the taxi nazi- you do that again and you get out and walk home. I am serious. I am taxi nazi. Sometime people turn me down for ride. I see them later and they want ride and I tell them no- I remember you and you turned me down so no ride for you. Then they just look at me.” He also said one time he picked up lady having asthma attack and she said to take her to the hospital. He was so worried she was going to die in his taxi so he ran every red light just honking his horn. He said lady- you want to hang your head out the window or run the A/c…what gives you the best air. He didn’t even make her pay- he gave her free ride for not dying. He also was making the poor guy in the front passenger seat roll down his window to talk to people next to us. He was nuts, but I was dying laughing the whole time. We met a nice couple- Wendy and Jason in the taxi and hung out with them all day and met them back ou that night, so at least something good came of the crazy driver. So back to snorkeling- it was weird and hard, but I can say I did it. My biggest issue was that in some places the coral was really close to the surface and I would scratch my knees going over it-- even has bleeding on both my knees and hands from scraping and cutting them up! Of course when I was sitting on the beach Dustin found the good areas to go then that didn't have all the coral. Anyways, I didn't even freak out when I saw the fish and most of them were really pretty! That's about all for today's news!