3.29.2010

Photography Assignment Week 1

I saw where a few girls from a message board I belong to are also trying to learn how to use their DSLR camera. And they are following a blog's tutorial called Twelve Weeks to Better Photos. Since I pretty much suck at using the camera, I figured I should give it a stab too! The only way to really learn is just keep practicing, so now that the nicer weather is here I'm hoping I'll get loads of practice in!

Our assignment for the first week was to learn about aperture (http://is.twopeasinabucket.com/photocourse/weekone.pdf). Basically I took a picture of this flower clip I had on a tree and set my aperature 3 different ways. The size of the aperture, or f/stop, of a lens determines how much of your photograph is in focus. The smaller the f/stop, the less that is in focus. You'll see in the first picture it had a low f-stop and the background is really blurry. In the next picture, the background is more in focus and in the last picture I kept the whole thing in focus.

Pic 1- f/4.5


Pic 2- f/10


Pic 3- f/24