2.12.2012

Buffalo Mac-n-Cheese

While on maternity leave I've really enjoyed being able to cook some good dinners and eat a little healthier than we normally do.  It seemed lately that I kept seeing recipes for Buffalo Chicken Mac-n-Cheese...so I figured it was a sign I should make it!  I looked at many recipes on the web, but a lot were from scratch and just seemed too time consuming for me and too many ingredients to buy.  So I found this recipe on the Kraft site, but then made lots of changes...I really like how my version turned out:

Ingredients
3 boxes of the cheap Kraft Mac-n-Cheese with the powdered cheese
1 bunch of green onions
1 container of crumbled blue cheese (probably was about 1 cup)
1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce (use more or less depending on how spicy you want)
2 cups chicken (I used some frozen diced chicken pieces and defrosted in microwave)
1/2 block cream cheese
This will make a lot- probably 10 good serving sizes. 

Directions
I boiled my 3 boxes of pasta in a large pot.  Drain water and return to pot.  Add the powedered cheese from the mac-n-cheese box.  I also stirred in a little bit of water (maybe 1/4-1/3 of a cup) or you could use milk.  I then added about half a block of cream cheese cut into cubes.  Stir until all of the powder cheese is dissolved and cream cheese is melted.  Stir in chicken, buffalo sauce, half of the green onions, and half of the blue cheese.  Pour into a 9x13 pan (I lightly sprayed with non-stick oil).  Sprinkle remaining onions and blue cheese over the top.  I baked at 350 for about 20 minutes just to let it all come together.

I forgot to take a picture, so had to use a generic from the internet: