6.22.2011

16 Weeks

Yesterday I completed 16 weeks!  So here's some more info on where things stand....

How I've been feeling? 
  • My main issue is getting headaches.  I got a prescription after my last appointment and it works wonderful!  I'm just sick of getting them at least twice a week, but at least the medicine works. 
  • I had a few days a couple weeks ago where I had some nausea in the mornings, but started eating a few crackers before getting out of bed in the morning and that fixed it. 
  • I still go to bed between 9:30-10 usually, but have more energy and have been trying to get back into going to the gym after work. 
  • I got sciatic nerve pain starting last Wednesday.  Basically what happens is with your uterus growing and things shifting around inside you, the sciatic nerve can get pinched.  This is in your lower back and the pain extends into your butt and leg-- it is the largest nerve in the body.  It would just come on hit or miss, so I tried to minimize bending over and moving slowly between sitting/standing.  We were on a boat on Saturday and that must have jostled it some more because I had the most pain then-- it hurt just walking.  The pain has now gone away.
  • Then on Sunday I had a killer stabbing pain in my left side and lower abdomen.  It was so bad that I had nausea and of course we were at the lake with Dustin's family, so I'm trying to hold it together.  The stabbing would come and go....and when it would go, I would just be left with a dull pain that was tolerable.  This continued all day.  I then remembered people talking about Round Ligament Pain which starts in the 2nd trimester and occurs from your uterus starting to grow.  So I looked that up on the internet and determined that is what I must have....but then my pain seemed way more horrible than what others were describing, so didn't know if I was a wimp or what.  For some reason on the car ride home it was just miserable and I was crying...I think some from the pain and some just cause I was frustrated with not feeling well and didn't know how to get it to go away.  I woke up Monday morning and had the stabbing feelings again, so called the doctor.  The nurse on the phone said this could be Round Ligament Pain, but probably not cause my symptoms didn't completely match up-- she said with RLP you should be able to massage the pain away, similar to a charley horse.  I was in so much pain and it hurt 100 times worse when just lightly touching the area, so that was not an option!  They had me come in and do a urine test so they could see if was some sort of bladder infection, something with kidneys, etc.  Urine sample came back clean.  The doctor today seemed to think the best guess was probably a kidney stone, so if it happens again I'm to call back and they will do an ultrasound to find out.  She said it can be as small as a grain of sand and I could have passed it without knowing.  I woke up today and have been 100%- no trace of pain, so I'm just glad it's gone!
Cravings?  No specific cravings and my appetite in general just is much less than normal.  I just get full much faster for some reason.

Physical changes?  I feel like I have a definite baby bump, but only at times does it really show.  Dustin finally agreed with me a few days ago that my stomach has never been this round/fat before.  Of course on picture day I feel like it is barely showing, but I swear it is there! 

Felt any movement?  Nope, still have not felt the baby.

16-Week Dr. Appt
Date: 6.21.2011
Weight: 133 lbs. (+2 lbs from starting point)
Blood Pressure: 100/62
Baby's Heartbeat: 155
Description:   Today's appt was probably the least exciting so far!  We got to hear the baby's heartbeat, which was much louder and prominent than last time.  Other than that they just checked my stats and we didn't really have any questions.  She explained that in our ultrasound in 2 weeks they will be doing tons of major checks to verify the baby is developing as it should-- make sure the heart has 4 chambers, the kidneys work, the baby urinates, etc.  So it sounds like besides having a good heartbeat, this is the next big check!

Picture at 16W (excuse the bad quality-- apparently next time I need to give dustin step by step instructions on how to make this look better!):