6.12.2010

Yum-O!


I know I stil need to finish my vacation blogging, BUT we've been busy every night for the last week so I haven't made it a priority. However, we did go to the new Downtown Farmer's Market Thursday after work and I just LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the stuff there! We spend way too much money, but convince ourselves that it is helping support these local farmers and families and the food seriously is much better than the grocery store. The normal stuff I've bought there is zucchini, radishes, carrots (dustin swears they are the best carrots he's ever had in his life), and strawberries. Some more interesting stuff we've picked up is watercress- I've never tried it, but Rachel Ray uses it fairly often and describes it as spicy, so figured we may like it. We also got a bunch of green onions except the bulby onion part is purple instead of white- they look really cool! We also got purple asparagus. We sampled many goat cheeses and bought one that was flavored with garlic and chives. There is a mushroom stand where I just want to gobble everything up-- but we limited ourselves to just getting a container of Truffle Butter....and it is TO DIE FOR! And we also tried something new and I'm not even sure what these are called, but I think Garlic Sprouts. You'll see them in the picture as the green swirly things. We took a nibble off of one when we got home and it was like eating a clove of garlic!

So now, what to do with all this good food?! For the carrots, zucchini, and radishes I just cleaned those and we are eating raw with dip. Last night we made an awesome dinner with all the ingredients!

1) Roasted asparagus in the oven with olive oil and S&P
2) Crusty bread topped with butter and chopped garlic sprouts heated in the oven
3) Rachel Ray recipe for spicy potato salad that was AWESOME! This made use of my watercress and I also added the purple onions in here. I made a double-batch which I'd recommend and I also held back some on the horseradish and ours was VERY spicy.
4) Steak topped with melted Truffle Butter and Porcini mushrooms.
5) Portobella mushrooms stuffed with the goat cheese and heated in the oven.
6) Strawberry shortcake for dessert...but we were too stuff to eat it!

I think now we've used or ate most our buys and it's only 2 days later! Just means next week I need to buy MORE!