7.19.2011

20 Weeks: WHOOOAAAA...we're halfway there!

Completed 20 WEEKS on Tuesday this week!  It is absolutely crazy to think I'll be over the halfway mark!  So here's the lowdown on where things stand...
How have I been feeling?  Overall really good.  I've felt more tired the past few weeks though than before-- but think a lot of it is just due to the draining near 100 degree temps outside.  Just had a few days here and there where I just don't feel 100%, but I always say that could just be normal and not even due to being pregnant!

Felt any movement?  Not a thing.  A couple weeks ago I thought maybe I was feeling something, but now think it must have been gas or food passing through me.  Lately I don't feel a single flutter or anything.  The doctor did say today that my placenta is up front, so that probably explains why I don't feel anything.  She said to think of it like somebody punching you through a pillow and that pillow really cushions you from feeling anything.
Clothing?  Still wearing my normal clothes, although my pants are definitely starting to get to that snug point! 

First Items:  So the very first item our baby has received is a cute cookie monster hooded bath towel from some relatives.  I felt a little guilty then that I had slacked and not bought anything, so I did something about it and bought fabric this weekend and made a little blanket!  There will be a separate post on that in the coming days.  And a generous co-worker bought a little illini football shirt.   So we got a towel, blanket, and shirt....now only 1000 more items left!

Names:  Nope, still haven't really started looking into this.

Cravings: None

20-Week Dr. Appt
Date: 7.19.2011
Weight: 135 (up 4 lbs from start)
Blood Pressure: 110/62
Baby Heartbeat: 156
Belly circumfrence: 34 inches
Fundal Height: 18.5 cm
Description:  These appointments are really pretty uneventful during this timeframe.  Dustin has made it to all appointments so far.  The doctor said she wasn't super concerned with my weight, but that I need to make sure to gain at least a pound per week from now on and is concerned I may not be getting enough calories.  So get this-- she seriously said to try 3 times a week to eat a bowl of ice cream after dinner on top of what I normally eat.  Dustin was jealous cause he loooooooooooooves the ice cream!  And he's concerned he is going to start gaining weight cause is impossible for him to watch me eat ice cream and refrain.  Dustin cracks me up at these appointments and thinks every little piece of info needs shared with the doctor and that I'm hiding stuff.  I seriously don't think he trusts me to go on my own.  So when she says this business about eating a few more calories...dustin pipes up with "Well, she did weigh a little bit more earlier this morning if she would have weighed in then."  I'm sure he got the death stare from me tunneling over "I can't believe you just said that out loud!"  The doctor politely said something about bowel movements don't affect the weight all that much and I still should follow the advice she just gave.  At least now I get a chuckle out of it, but why someone would feel that was important altering information to share?!  She also said they do not do any more ultrasounds unless there would be a medical necessity.  I was somewhat surprised with that, but she said she participated in a study at wash u and they confirmed there was no value added to doing them after 20 weeks-- at this point they are able to see everything they need to see.  We can elect to do one in the 3rd trimester if we want...but I got the feeling that most insurance companies will not cover it if you are just doing it for your own benefit.  She also said she didn't have an issue with me having like a glass of wine occassionally....woot woot!!!!  My mouth is already watering thinking about dinner this Saturday night and having a nice glass of white wine with my meal....yum!  For some reason, I am one of those people that just always wants what I can't have....so before getting pregnant it wasn't a big deal most of the time if I chose not to have a drink.  Then when I couldn't drink....it killed me to go out to dinner and not be able to order something!  So I think this will help knowing that I can have a drink if I want....but I'll probably still choose not to on most weekends.

Here is my 20-week picture on right compared to my starting picture on left: