5.31.2011

Microwave Caramel Corn

This is so easy and delicious that I'll be trying to make it more often.  We watch a lot of movies, so occasionally I'll go the extra step and make us a batch of salty, buttery, heavenly popcorn.  I decided last week that caramel corn was sounding better, so we gave that a try....it made WAY too much, but better too much than not enough!

I started out by popping a little over 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels.

In a microwave safe dish, combine the following ingredients:
1/2 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 light karo syrup
1/2 tsp. salt

Cook until mixture starts boiling and then cook another 2 minutes.  I'm not sure, but am guessing mine was in the microwave in the neighborhood of 3 minutes.  Remove and add 1/2 tsp. baking soda and stir.  Pour over the popcorn and mix well....and enjoy!  (Although next time I will cut this all in half and we'll probably still have leftovers!)