3.20.2011

Easy Swiss Chicken

WOWSER- this dish hit the spot tonight!  I had just read on Plain Chicken's blog about a Swiss Chicken recipe....it sounded perfect cause chicken is my most frequently cooked meat (and was on sale for $1.99/lb this week) and we LOVE swiss cheese.  She adapted it from Paula Deen and I made a hybrid between her and Paula's version.  Below is  how I made it and it turned out so good that I don't think I'd change a thing!

6 skinless boneless chicken breasts
4 Tbsp butter, melted
Salt and Pepper
4 slices Swiss cheese
Shredded Swiss- about 1 cup
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup stuffing mix, crushed
cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spred melted butter in 9x13 casserole dish. Add the chicken to the casserole dish and season with salt and pepper. Layer the cheese slices on top - I broke my slices in half and covered each chicken and then I broke up my last slice to fill in the missing areas.  I used some shredded swiss to also help get the chickens thoroughly covered in cheese, which I would recommend doing cause it melted in with the sauce and gave it all a great flavor.

In a medium bowl, combine the soup and wine, season with salt and pepper, and pour over the chickens. Sprinkle the smashed stuffing mix on top and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.